Alec Baldwin ignored request for firearms training before shooting

0

While Alec Baldwin has presented himself as a seasoned veteran of gun safety on film sets, a lawsuit filed Wednesday by the gunsmith for the movie ‘Rust’ says he ignored his request for getting firearms training for the “cross draw” movement he was. used when cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was shot and killed.

This allegation suggests that Baldwin may not have been as conscientious as he claimed while producing and performing in the West, according to Insider. The allegation is part of the lawsuit filed by Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, 24, and targets the company that supplied the ammunition used on set. He alleges that the company mixed live ammunition with dummy cartridges that Gutierrez-Reed needed to load Baldwin’s gun.

While the lawsuit doesn’t name Baldwin as a defendant, it paints a picture of lax adherence to gun safety protocols on set. Gutierrez-Reed also appeared to blame Baldwin for not attending a “cross draw training” session and for the way he handled the weapon, Insider reported. The lawsuit said Gutierrez-Reed asked Baldwin to schedule the practice for Oct. 15, less than a week before the fatal Oct. 21 shooting, but she never heard from him.

Moments before the fatal shooting, Baldwin was rehearsing a scene with Hutchins and “Rust” director Joel Souza, practicing “crusading” with the Colt revolver and pointing it at the Hutchins director, according to reports. The gun exploded, with live ammunition killing Hutchins and wounding Souza. Baldwin controversially claimed in a TV interview in December that he hadn’t pulled the trigger.

In addition to these new allegations coming in the Armourer’s trial, Baldwin is under pressure for other reasons related to the investigation into Hutchins’ death.

The Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Department took the somewhat unusual step Thursday of releasing a statement saying Baldwin still hadn’t returned his cellphone – despite claims by the actor and his attorneys that he was ready to comply with their December search warrant for the iPhone. .

“Any suggestion that I’m not complying with requests or orders or requests or search warrants on my phone is bullshit—-, it’s a lie,” Baldwin said in an Instagram video that he posted this weekend, the Daily Beast reported.

Baldwin was responding to reports from the New York Post and other outlets that he had not turned over his phone for forensic examination nearly a month after investigators issued their search warrant. In his video, Baldwin said he wanted the police to work with his lawyers and clarify what they were looking for before they started digging into his phone, the Daily Beast added.

“They can’t just go through your phone and take your pictures, or your love letters to your wife, or whatever,” Baldwin said Saturday.

“It’s a process where one state makes the request to another state,” Baldwin also explained of New Mexico’s mandate. “It’s a process that takes time, they have to specify what they want. We will one thousand percent comply with all of this.

But the fact that New Mexico authorities released the statement indicates their belief that “process” is not the only reason for the delay in obtaining Baldwin’s phone. The Daily Beast said the statement is “a clear attempt by authorities to bring Baldwin into compliance”.

Baldwin’s attorney, Aaron Dyer, told USA Today on Thursday that he had reached an agreement with the Santa Fe Sheriff’s Office and the district attorney to turn over the phone “this week.” He entrusted his team with finalizing the logistics with the New York authorities.

Last week, legal experts offered theories to the New York Post about why Baldwin kept his phone. He may be concerned about the possibility of ‘incriminating’ evidence on the phone – including deleted texts or photos that could hold him in criminal contempt. Or, as he put it, he may just want to keep his private conversations out of public view.

“There could be incriminating evidence on the phone, or it could be for privacy reasons,” Kevin Kearon, a former Nassau County prosecutor, told the Post.

“If he deleted text messages or call recordings, he would face the possibility of criminal contempt,” said Kearon, who is now in private practice. “Or if there are personal messages, for example, between him and his wife, it’s not shocking that he doesn’t want them in the public domain.”

According to court documents, police want to perform a “forensic download” of Baldwin’s iPhone that will include text messages, recent call lists, pictures, videos, calls or other information related to the production of the film.


Source link

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.