Gold Coast reveler speaks out about costume party attack


One reveler has landed in hospital and another has gone to jail after a fancy dress party at a Gold Coast waterfront mansion erupted into a nasty fight.

The incident dragged both sides to court and now one of the revelers has spoken out, saying it was “one of the scariest times” of his life.

“It was like all hell broke loose,” Angelina Jennings said A topical matter.

Michael Healey and Angelina Jennings dressed up as Superman and Snow White. (A current affair)

Related Clips

READ MORE: Australian restaurant with bad manners on the menu goes global

“It’s horrible, it destroyed us, it literally tore us apart,” her husband Michael Healey said.

Although Snow White and Superman are usually costumed characters who could guarantee a fun time, for Healey and Jennings, they said their invitation to a birthday party was the furthest thing from a fairy tale.

The couple had just left New Zealand and were excited to make new friends, but they said after arriving at the party they felt something was wrong.

A waterfront mansion on the Gold Coast. (A current affair)

READ MORE: Bollywood star opens up about drastic life change after moving to Australia

The couple said things started to feel a little “strange” when they noticed people hugging and whispering to each other.

But despite feeling unwell, the couple said they decided to stay until the DJ finished at 10 p.m.

They said they decided to hit the dance floor, but things quickly turned sour when another partygoer pushed Healey from behind.

Angelina Jennings. (A current affair)

READ MORE: ‘I’m backing down’: Struggling Aussies plead for pay rise

“The next minute he hit him in the back of the head and Mike literally hit the deck and I went up to Mike and he (the other man) started hitting me,” Jennings said.

While Healey was out and badly injured, Jennings said she dealt with the chaos that unfolded.

“It was like fight or flight. I didn’t know what was going on and I didn’t know if Mike was alive or dead. He was on the floor and yeah, it was just awful,” she said. declared.

Jennings claims the police were called but never showed up.

An ambulance arrived 20 minutes later and took Healey and Jennings to Gold Coast University Hospital where a CT scan revealed Healey had fractured facial and skull bones, as well as severe brain bleeding.

Michael Healey. (A current affair)

“All of these things have huge ramifications in terms of headaches, migraines, neck pain, back pain, eyesight. It’s just on a physical level,” Healey said.

The next day, the police took statements from the couple and the attacker was identified.

Daniel Richard Carlson, who initially hid from the police, later turned himself in, before being charged with grievous bodily harm and actual bodily harm.

The case languished in court for more than two years, until the misdemeanors were downgraded to assault causing bodily harm and common assault.

Carlson was eventually sentenced to three months behind bars and a nine-month suspended sentence with a recorded conviction.

Michael Healey and Angelina Jennings. (A current affair)

“He’s a felon and he’s nothing more than that…and he has to have three months vacation and then get out without Scott – no parole, no check-in at the police station, nothing,” said Mr Healey.

Carlson is also New Zealander and the father of two now resides on streets of Healey and Jennings, with his wife Bree Carlson.

A topical matter confronted Carlson and asked him why he hit Healey at the party, but he refused to answer.

Healey and Jennings said they still don’t know what triggered the assault, but added they’ve never had any run-ins with the law.

Healey and Jennings also claimed that while Carlson was in jail, his wife issued a peace and good behavior bond against Healey – saying she felt threatened by him.

Daniel Richard Carlson. (A current affair)

And so yet another case dragged through the courts, with the magistrate reviewing video footage of three different incidents where Ms Carlson claimed she was scared and scared of Healey, before throwing her out.

“We’ve been fighting for three years,” Healey said relieved in court.

As the legal battles are over, Healey and Jennings said their lives have been changed forever.

“It destroyed me, it reduced me to a tiny shell of a human being. I don’t know who this person is, my children don’t know who this person is, Angelina doesn’t know who this person is and that spins in the blink of an eye,” Healey said.

Healey now takes daily medication and has been told he will never work again.

“If only there had been an iota of remorse or an apology or whatever, but in fact it’s the opposite. They came after us for seeking justice for what happened to Mike,” said Jennings.

“There was never an apology.”

In images, in pictures

How hypnotism has helped Australians with unique phobias and addictions

See the gallery

Source link


About Author

Comments are closed.